Thursday, October 20, 2016

Table Topping


Most people would think that table topping is only a prank. I would argue that table topping is more of a strategic game. For people that don't know what table topping is, its a practical joke that has somehow carried on from 6th grade to my Junior year of high school. Table topping is the act of pushing a person while someone else is on all fours behind the victim. With the unexpected person on all fours positioned behind the victim, it is super easy to push someone over and make them fall on the ground. It may seem like it hurts a lot for the person on all fours and the person falling, but from personal experience, it doesn't hurt at all. Its harmless (I think).
Image result for table topping
The first person to be table topped is an easy victim. They aren't expecting it. You exchange a couple of words with someone you trust and then you walk behind the victim while your partner in crime preoccupies the victim with a conversation or activity. Once you get in position, your partner will push the victim and hopefully you'll all end up laughing for awhile (If not you better run). But after the first victim is table topped, the prank evolves into a game. No one trusts anyone anymore, even the two original table toppers. New alliances are formed and new enemies are declared as you try to outwit each other by trying to slyly position yourself behind anyone else before they notice. While you try to table top other people, you are also constantly on the look out for people trying to able top you. Table topping becomes a game of trying to trip as many people as you can while also minimizing your falls. You'll love the sweet revenge when you're able to table top someone who had recently table topped you.


10/10 When it happens to someone else
3/10 When it happens to you. 


Words of advice: do this to people you know for certain would be okay with it. If not, you might get beaten up.

5 comments:

  1. While I do enjoy your in depth analysis of this activity, I wish you would stop doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its interesting that you still do this. I remember when it was a pretty big thing at Franklin. Nice post, brings back a lot of old memories...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Table topping was never really a thing at UMS. People there loved to play the game where you get someone to look at your hand while you're doing the little "okay" sign, and then if they look you get to slap them. Honestly, I remember that being SO much fun, but I tried to bring it back with my friend the other day and he wasn't really keen on reviving it. Nothing like some good middle school games, LOL. Also, I love how strategic this sounds, it seems really involved

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think of this as a prank, but it is interesting how you categorize it as a strategic game. I think you do a good job of proving your point by explaining how alliances form and you have to outwit each other by getting behind each other without anyone noticing.

    ReplyDelete