Friday, October 7, 2016

Munchkin



Instead of a video game, I'm going to talk about a card game this week, Munchkin.

Munchkin is a dedicated deck card game that you can play with 3-6 other people. In this game, you role play as an adventurer trying to be the first person to reach level 10. You obtain these levels by killing monsters, selling equipment, or by drawing cards that give you a level. However, this game is no walk in the park. Other players are allowed to use their cards to prevent you from getting too powerful/leveling up. Alliances will be made and broken, coalitions will be formed, tears will be shed, and insults will be given as you play this game. Personally, when I played this game with my family, there were a lot of insults being traded between me, my brothers and sister in law. But even still, the game is fun and interactive, even if it tests the limits of our relationship.

A vital part of this game is that it requires you to talk and interact with the other players. Whenever its your turn, you have to "kick down the door" to the dungeon (draw a white card from the above picture) where you will either encounter a monster card or draw some card that changes your character. If you do draw a monster card, there is a high chance that the monster will be more powerful than you (especially in the early game). In order to kill this monster you're going to need help, you can either play your action cards/use your items to weaken the monster/make yourself stronger,or you can ask for help from the other players. This is where communication becomes essential as you try to bargain for their help. Usually you promise them that you'll give them a portion of the treasure that's dropped after the monster is killed, or you can promise them a favor. Communication is also key for keeping the balance of power and making sure that no one is too close to winning. I really like this communication aspect of this game because it makes me feel like I'm a diplomat trying to compromise with other powers to further my own agenda.

Another vital and arguably best part of the game is that you can screw over anyone. I have so many fond memories of me and my brothers arguing with each other about "WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!!!" Not only do you have the option to create alliances and help each other out when playing the game, you are also able to assist a monster in killing the character of your opponents by buffing the monster or by weakening the power level of the character. Personaly, I get this evil satisfaction and glee when I'm able to kill my brother's character by giving a monster plus 10 attack and then seeing him get frustrated and annoyed (sorry Mike). Of course when you screw someone over, it'll be reciprocated back to you eventually. This keeps the game interesting and enjoyable and to quote Mr. Butler, "It's anyone's game."

This game has strengthened the relationship between me, my brothers, and my sister-in law  and I recommend this game for friends and family. Once you go through of game of Munchkin, you'll end of hating all of the players, but you'll also have a closer relationship with them.

10/10

3 comments:

  1. Munchkin is my favorite card game to play whenever I'm out camping and have an hour or so to kill. I enjoy the humor and cartoon drawings that go along with each card.
    Also, I love backstabbing other people and watching their face as I end their hopes and dreams of winning. Or having ridiculous outfits and kicking down dungeon doors. Maybe I like to live vicariously through my Munchkin character...
    Funny post :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see that you really like this game because I've also had some good experiences with it. It's also really funny to hear what you like to do when you play it as well. I agree that backstabbing your buddies is a super fun thing to do in this game, it's always funny how the alliances formed after this influence the rest of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never played this before though I know a lot of people who really like it. I should really check it out! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete