Spinnys is game where you spin in place as fast as you can for 30 seconds and they try to race your opponent from one side of the field to the other. Of course, after spinning for 30 seconds, running becomes quite a challenge. You'll end up feeling very dizzy and uncertain at the feet. What makes the game so fun is the challenge of running, especially on the uneven ground of a sand volleyball court. As you extend your legs, your body droops to one side so that you have an even greater tendency to fall. To counter this, you have to use all of our muscles to try to straighten yourself. Even with the effort invested in trying to balance yourself, you eventually droop more and more until you and your friends fall on the ground. Trust me though, this wont hurt if you are running on sand or grass, but it probably would hurt if you fell on concrete. Another thing you'll find yourself doing is that you'll be running with your legs wide open to try to balance yourself out further. Watching your friends run like this and still ultimately falling is hilarious and deeply satisfying until they see you suffer the same fate as they had.
| An accurate picture of how you feel after you stop spinning. |
Although Spinny's is fun to participate in, I think that it makes an amazing spectator sport as well. 100% of all races has at least one participant face planting in the sand, running into a pole, or tripping over another person and its always fun to watch. One particular race I remember fondly had two of my friends tripped over each other and at the same time another friend ran into the volleyball net and then into a pole (Don't worry he's okay).
If you're ever at the park with some friends and have nothing to do, I suggest playing some Spinnys to pass the time.
10/10 when other people fall
8/10 when you fall
Spinnys sound like a lot of fun! I feel like I spend half of my time laying flat on my face. I also like the accurate picture, it really makes me understand what trying spinnys would feel like. Very entertaining read, I may try this if I'm ever bored with some friends.
ReplyDeleteI remember doing a similar activity in elementary school. The most hardcore version I've ever done was where we wound up a swing and spun at super high speeds. I have no clue how I was good at this when I was a kid, since I can barely spin at all now without flopping in a couple seconds.
ReplyDeleteI'm really liking these personal games you've been posting lately; finding out about people's friend group games I think is really telling and hilarious. This is such a classic theme, but doing it on a sand court is def a lot smarter than cement -- I remember getting lots of scrapes playing this in middle school. Nice post!
ReplyDeleteSpinnys reminds me a lot of a game I've played at theatre cast parties called Star Tipping. Star Tipping involves a lot of spinning whily trying to focus on on star above you. Then, someone turns on a light and it's a race between the two spinning people to get there first.
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely hilarious.
This sounds like a fun way to pass some time, nice post
This sounds like a fun game and I think you describe it so that people who haven't played can understand how it would feel. We always used to do something similar, where we would twist the swing around and then let it go and spin around really fast. Great post.
ReplyDelete