Thursday, September 22, 2016

Hearthstone

Whenever I have twenty minutes to spare in the car or while I'm taking a number two, I like to whip out my phone and play a game of Hearthstone. Hearthstone is a card game in which you try to kill your opponent by playing cards. These cards can either be minions that you play onto the board, or  spells that damages the opponent or opposing minions. This game is essentially Magic the Gathering but digitized, and if you don't know what Magic is, just think of this game as the Pokemon card game.


Probably the best feature about this game is that its digitized. Unlike Pokemon/Yugioh/Magic, your cards are stored on the cloud. You carry your entire card collection on your phone/computer instead of having a physical stack of cards. This makes it so that you can play Hearthstone anytime, and anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. Since the game and cards are digitized, it is easy to find people to play with. All you have to do is be connected to the internet and the game will find someone to play with you, unlike real-life card games in which you have to meet real people to play the game with.

The best aspect of Hearthstone's game play is its HEAVY reliance on RNG, or luck. Luck is a normal part of any game that involves cards and Hearthstone is no exception. I would say that 50% of the game is luck, because soooooo many aspects of the game has RNG. What I mean is that about 50% of the cards in Hearthstone have their effects randomized. You could either get lucky and get the desired effects from each card, or you could get unlucky and get the worst possible outcome that could possibly lose you the game. Either way, I love it and I hate it. Whenever you get lucky, you get the biggest sense of relief and joy that just makes you think to yourself "Damn. If feels good to be alive." But of course there's a flip side, and you find yourself always saying "Never Lucky" and throwing your hands up in anger and disbelief while shouting "Are you FUCKING SERIOUS." Then after your burst of anger, you concede and play another game hoping to get lucky. I love these moments and I especially love it when my friends who play Hearthstone have these moments. They're hilarious and entertaining and makes the Hearthstone experience engaging, lovable, and infuriating.

I recommend this game to anyone who would like to play a casual children's card game on the go. Its free on your smartphone and computer! Even if you're looking for a high skill card game, you might as well stop looking and play Hearthstone because there's no such thing as a card game with no luck.

10/10 game when I'm lucky
0/10 game when I'm Never Lucky

3 comments:

  1. I find it really fun whenever I'm watching someone get ridiculously bad RNG, and incredibly annoying when it happens to me. Maybe that's why is a popular game to watch on twitch. (twitch.tv/ausaltin specifically)
    I agreed with all the points you made about the benefits, and even laughed once or twice. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never played this game, but it sounds like fun. I also enjoy seeing people's reactions when they have streaks of bad luck, although I hate it when it happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RNG sucks when it is against you so much. It happens all the time to me in Hearthstone, with the rarer case of me actually getting lucky. However, watching other people rage is pretty entertaining, so I end up spectating a lot.

    ReplyDelete